Kent Principal Mr. Althouse
Kent Site Council
Next Meeting: March 5, 2019, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Main Office Conference Room
- All Kent parents are welcome to attend Site Council meetings. Please visit our Site Council page for meeting dates, agendas, and minutes.
8th Grade Announcements
High School Registration
- Redwood High School Tours, Online Registration Instructions, and parent letter
- Drake High School Tours
- March 6, 2019, 1-1:45 p.m: Pizza lunch graduation fundraiser
- $5 for a slice (cheese or pepperoni), drink, and cookie.
- $3 for each additional slice.
Kent Library Update
February was a busy and exciting month here in the library. We had many classrooms coming through to work on special projects, support reading units, check out books, and do research using our print materials and databases. During the month of February, Kent students checked out more than 400 books!
4Paws Readers of the Pack: This week, we had our first visit from Rudy, the golden retriever, and Ernie, the pit bull, as part of our new partnerships with 4Paws Readers of the Pack, an organization trains dogs and their owners in listening to students read aloud free from judgment or correction.
- Students who would like to participate can check in with me for more information.
- Additionally, if your family has a dog you think would be a good fit for the program, you can be trained to come and be part of the Kent Readers team! Find out more here.
Battle of the Books: This week, we launched our team reading competition where students can join up with a group of four to read twelve books between them by June 4th. This was great fun last year and students enjoyed the community of the group and reading a discussing the books.
- The deadline to sign up is Friday, March 1st. Students should come see me for more information.
Dan Gemeinhart Skype Visit: Next Tuesday, March 5th at 10:30 a.m., we will have a special Skype author visit with Dan Gemeinhart, author of the popular title Scar Island, and many more including Good Dog, Some Kind of Courage, and The Honest Truth.
- Students who have read any of Dan’s books may sign up to be a part of the conversation in their language arts classes or with me in the library.
Refugee Follow Up: In March, students will have a chance to participate in a special donation drive called “Change for Change,” organized by our student council and activities director Ms. Stephens. During this drive, students will be asked to bring in spare change from home to contribute to the JFCS Refugee Resettlement programs. We will kick off the program with a visit from a representative from the organization and a newcomer refugee who will speak about their experiences. Following the drive kick off, students will have a chance to write an essay about their connection to the story to enter into our contest to have lunch with the author during his visit on May 3rd.
Save the Date! 2nd Annual Kent Middle School and Book Passage Shopping and Live Music Event
- Thursday, May 2, 2019
On my reading list...
There are so many incredible books out there right now, I am having a hard time keeping up!