Don't Miss These Announcements
Superintendent Search Community Survey - available through January 23, 2020
- English and Spanish versions of the survey
- Please read the School Board Letter to the Community for more information (English and Spanish)
COM Building Information Meeting hosted by KSPTA
- Monday, January 13, 2020, 7 p.m., Kent Library
- Find out more in the KSPTA section.
Parents/Guardians of Sixth Graders
- Tdap Booster vaccine records are required for seventh grade due by February 21st.
- Please read the Kent section for more information.
Rescheduled: 6th Grade and Advanced Choir Winter Concert is now on Tuesday, February 4, 2020 (rescheduled from January 29, 2020)
New Parking Regulations on Acacia Avenue
To make this busy thoroughfare more walker and biker friendly, new parking restrictions will be put into place on the south side of Acacia (Lilac to McAllister) and north side of Acacia (Lilac to Rosebank) from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. on school days.
- Download 2019-2020 District Calendar
- Download 2020-2021 District Calendar
- View Online Calendar for Bacich, Kent, and District
Sunday, January 12, 2020
- School lunch ordering deadline
- Please note the date change.
Monday, January 13, 2020
- COM Building Information Meeting hosted by KSPTA, 7 p.m., Kent Library
Tuesday, January 14, 2020
- Kent Together We Can session during Opportunities
- School Board Meeting, 5-7 p.m., District Office
Thursday, January 16, 2020
- Finance Committee Meeting 4-5:30 p.m., District Office
Friday, January 17, 2020
- 6th Grade Field Trip to the Rosicrucian Museum in San Jose
Save The Date
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
- Ad Hoc Finance Committee Meeting, 4-5:30 p.m., District Office
Saturday, January 25, 2020
- Lunar New Year Celebration hosted by KSPTA -more details coming soon!
Tuesday, January 28, 2020
- 5th Grade Winter Concert
Thursday, January 30, 2020
- Kent Intermediate and Advanced Band Winter Concert
Tuesday, February 4, 2020
- 6th Grade and Advanced Choir Winter Concert (rescheduled from January 29, 2020)
Welcome back to the 2020 side of the 2019-2020 school year!
Weekly meetings are underway to assist the board with its daunting task of balancing next year’s budget. All are welcome to attend, but if that is not an option, here is the annotated agenda with links to resources that provide relevant information. Feel free to add your questions or ideas to the linked google doc.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Letter to the Community: January 9, 2020
- The School Board provides an update on January-February Finance Committee Meetings, Superintendent Search, Strategic Plan, College of Marin (COM) litigation, and the Bacich Construction Project (Spanish Version)
Next Regular Board Meeting:
- Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 5-9 p.m., District Office, all are welcome to attend
- The agenda will be posted by 5 p.m. the Friday before the meeting
Ad Hoc Finance Committee Meetings
The first interim budget report was presented by District Business Official Kirsten Starsiak at the December 12, 2019 School Board meeting. The district was able to certify to the county that we can meet our financial obligations for the next three years only after reducing $1 million in expenditures in next year’s projected budget.
The board has requested that an ad hoc Finance Committee meet through the month of January to produce a menu of possible expenditure reductions in time to produce a balanced 2020-21 budget.
- All meetings are from 4-5:30 p.m. in the District Office
Thursday, January 16, 2020
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Monday, February 3, 2020
Monday, February 10, 2020
English Language Learners
Bacich Garden volunteers are needed on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Bacich offers morning supervision starting at 7:30 a.m. for our school families who may need it.
- These volunteer roles are school-wide. For classroom-specific opportunities, please contact your lead room parent.
- Monday, February 3, 2020, 3-4 p.m., Bacich Office Conference Room
- All are welcome to attend.
- Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 8:30-9:30am, Bacich Room 12
- Free internet and computers
- Summer Camp Information
- Registration for Middle School
- Marin Enrichment
Thank you to everyone who donated to our Project Night Night Drive!
It was a great success... here are the numbers:
- 52 blankets
- 44 stuffed animals
- 90 books
Thank you so much for giving the gift of reading and comfort to a child in a Bay Area homeless shelter.
Incoming 5th Graders: Proof of Residency Registration Event
- Wednesday February 26, 2020 or March 18, 2020, 1:30-3 p.m., Kent Office
Hexemester 3 ends on Monday, January 27, 2020
6th Grade Families: Tdap Booster Requirement
Your child will need the Tdap booster vaccine to enter the seventh grade in the fall. If your child has not had this vaccine, please make an appointment with your health care provider as soon as possible and bring the updated vaccine record to the Kent Office. If your child has had this vaccine, please bring the updated vaccine record to the Kent Office.
- More information on school immunization requirements.
- Records must be received by Friday, February 21, 2020 to register for seventh grade classes.
Laurel Yrun, RN Credentialed School Nurse
5th - 7th Grade Only: Private School Application Instructions:
- Please contact Lisa Sandberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please do not send teacher requests for teacher recommendations directly to teachers. All transcript and teacher recommendations need to go through Lisa Sandberg.
Yearbooks are on Sale Now
Be sure to order one of these amazing mementos to cap off your child's year! To order, go here:
Yearbook Order Code: 7587
For ordering help, call The Yearbook Order Center toll free at 866-287-3096 or email us at email@example.com. The Yearbook Order Center is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST).
Llama al 866-287-3096 si necesitas un operador en español.
8th Grade Families
2020-2021 High School Registration Begins Soon
Most families choose to attend their school of residence. Please refer to your high school website for registration/enrollment information.
If you would like to enroll at Tamalpais, Redwood, or Drake High School and this is not your school of residence, please read the information posted on the District website for “Open Enrollment.”
As a first step in the registration process, incoming freshmen may apply now for an Open Enrollment transfer. Please see the application on the district website. The initial deadline for transfer requests is on January 17. After January 17, students will be contacted individually to confirm their school of choice. Once approved, students will be able to register directly with your school of choice.
“Open Enrollment” applies only to students who are TUHSD residents who wish to attend a district high school other than their school of residence. The January transfer request deadline allows entering ninth grade students to register at the group registration days at your school of choice. Although you may register at any time at your school of residence, the final deadline to request an Open Enrollment transfer is June 30 (or until the maximum of 50 spots per site are filled).
If you have read the information posted on the website and have a question, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Executive Assistant to the Superintendent
Tamalpais Union High School District
- Tuesday, February 4, 2020, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Kent Conference Room
- All are welcome to attend.
COM Building Information Meeting hosted by KSPTA:
Monday, January 13, 2020, 7 p.m., Kent Library
KSPTA is hosting a moderated panel discussion for the community to learn more about the COM Maintenance and Operations Facility (including a waste management facility) currently being built next to Kent.
Community members have raised serious concerns about potential impacts on Kent students and staff.
Panelists will include representatives from COM, Kentfield Creeks and Kids, Marin County Office of Education, Friends of the Corte Madera Creek, and the Kentfield Planning Advisory Board.
Next General KSPTA Meeting: Monday, January 27, 2020, 7-8:30 p.m., Kent Library
- In response to community feedback, the January meeting will be held in the evening.
- Officer Josie Sanguinetti, our School Resource Officer, will speak about student safety — both physical and emotional — and what parents need to know to protect our kids.
Sign Up for Good Earth Lunch Session 2
Session 2 has started but you can still sign up!
- Ordering deadline is Tuesday, January 12, 2020
- Please note the earlier deadline.
Order today! goodearthlunch.com
Bacich Garden Volunteers
We are looking for a team of parents to help staff the garden during lunch recess on Tuesdays (1st/3rd) and Thursdays (2nd/4th) from 12:30-1:30 p.m.
We are blessed with a beautiful garden space at Bacich, but currently the only time the garden is able to be open at lunch recess is on Mondays during Garden Club. More than one adult is needed to supervise the garden, and because staff supervises other areas at that time, parent volunteers working alongside staff is the only way the school can safely open the garden for free play.
Thank you for considering volunteering. Sign up link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/bacichgardenplayvolunteers
Save the Date: Lunar New Year Celebration
- Saturday, January 25, 2020, 10-11:30 a.m.
- Kent Multipurpose Room
More details coming soon!
Community Education Event: Boys and Sex
- Sunday, January 26, 2020 4-5 p.m., Book Passage in Corte Madera:
KSPTA is partnering with Book Passage to present this special Community Ed Event: Boys and Sex.
Peggy Orenstein is the New York Times bestselling author of the taboo-shattering books Girls & Sex, Cinderella Ate My Daughter, Waiting for Daisy, Flux, and Schoolgirls. Her new book, Boys & Sex: Young Men on Hookups, Love, Porn, Consent, and Navigating the New Masculinity, will be available for purchase and signing.
Connect with KSPTA!
Safe Routes to School
Become Your Neighborhood Captain!
Visit Safe Routes to School for Walk & Roll information, safety tips in English and Spanish, updated neighborhood safe route maps, and public bus to Kent information.
If you are interested in becoming a SRTS Neighborhood Captain, please contact email@example.com.
Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020: Kicking off the 2020 Walk-n-Roll Wednesdays. Leave you car far, far away from our campus! Walk, bike/scoot, or park and walk instead.
Driver Alert! New Parking Restrictions on Acacia
There are some exciting new parking restrictions that should make Acacia Avenue safer for our kids walking to school and help relief the traffic congestion on this narrow street/alley.
Please make yourselves familiar with the new rules and spread the word to your friends and neighbors!
The new parking restrictions apply along the length of Acacia Avenue:
- From McAllister Avenue to Rosebank Avenue on the northern side (closest to Sir Francis Drake Boulevard) is no parking 7:30-8:30 a.m. on School Days.
- From McAllister to Lilac on the southerly side (Mt. Tam side) is no parking 7:30-8:30 a.m. on School Days.
Existing parking restrictions on the map are in red and the new parking restrictions are in blue.
These programs are not sponsored by the Kentfield School District. Distributing flyers and information is a community service and does not imply endorsement.
TidalWaves Swim Team Registration Now Open
Tidalwaves Swim Team is a community-based swim team organized and run by parent volunteers dedicated to providing access to high-quality competitive swimming in a nurturing and fun environment. Swim practices, meets and spirit events all promote not just improved swimming skills and physical fitness but also healthy self-esteem, sportsmanship, and a strong team spirit and achievement.
- Open to boys and girls of all abilities ages 5-18
More details about the 2020 Spring/Summer season, as well as winter swim programs, are available online at www.gowaves.com. Head Coach Marie McSweeney is also available to answer questions about your child's readiness for the team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-453-9563.
New STEAM Class Starts Next Week At Bacich
Calling all makers, builders, and budding engineers!
Learn cool design and engineering skills in this great class for curious, imaginative kids!
Explore STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) through fun creative projects and challenges as you build and tinker with craft materials, leds and conductive tape, littleBits, CircuitCubes and more.
10 classes Mondays, January 13 through March 30, 2020
No Bully! Workshops
Workshops for Parents & Guardians: How to Bully-Proof Children in their Lives and the digital world. Tools to use at home and in partnership with the school community.
- Wednesday, February 5, 2020: How to Stop Cyberbullying with focus on Grades 3-8
- Thursday, March 15, 2020: Stop Cyberbullying & Navigating the Social Media Landscape with focus on Grades 6-12
All workshops are 6-7:30 p.m. at Marin County Office of Education, 1111 Las Gallinas Avenue, San Rafael
We teach kids to code!
- MVCode clubs are located in Kentfield, Mill Valley
- Summer camps also available
You can register your child for a free trial class at www.mvcode.com
Youth Sports Training Program
Elevation Fitness promotes a healthy, positive lifestyle by focusing on training, mental strength, and exercise as stress relief. Main areas of improvement are strength, speed, agility, sportsmanship, and confidence.
Car Raffle Benefits Special Education
Parent volunteer group Dedication to Special Education is raffling off a 2020 Prius to benefit special education programs in all public schools in Marin County! Odds are approximately 1 in 3,000 and tickets are only $20!
Tickets will be sold at The Village at Corte Madera on weekends during December and at various locations throughout Marin in January up to the drawing on February 9, 2020.
Eighth Grade Washington D.C. & Boston Trip
Last chance to register! Sign-up deadline is Friday, February 14, 2020.
Trip is April 4-9, 2020.
Have your 8th grader check with Mr. Palmer for a registration envelope.
Questions? Contact Ryan Palmer at email@example.com.