Kentfield School District News
Dear Kentfield School Community,
On the eve of our first day of school for the 2020-2021 there are mixed emotions all around. Some are feeling excited while others are anxious to enter a school year like no other. Throughout the summer our staff district team reflected on feedback from the community and our own learning from the spring to help inform the development of a new way to educate our youth. Through using the collective wisdom of the group we have formulated an instructional program that maintains a balance of high quality core instruction while ensuring we are connected with our students and they are engaged and seen. We are committed to serving our community in the best way possible and will adjust based on student performance and need.
As a school district we stand in partnership with our parents/guardians and ask for your confidence in serving your children. Whether you have a Bacich Bear, a Kent Falcon or both – let’s cheer them on as they enter this new school year and together rise above the challenges we are being faced as a community and come out stronger in the end.
KSD Distance Learning 2.0 here we come!
Tuesday, August 25, 2020
- First Day of School
- Data Confirmation Due
Monday, August 31, 2020
- School Foodies pick up, 12-1:30 p.m. at Kent.
- KSPTA meeting, 7-8:30 p.m. Details to be posted.
- Kent Library Book Drive begins
Tuesday, September 1, 2020
- District English Language Advisory Committee (DELAC) Meeting, 6 p.m.
Wednesday, September 2, 2020
- Bacich Back to School Night, 5 p.m.
Thursday, September 3, 2020
- Kent Back to School Night, 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 5 p.m.
- School Board Meeting
- The meeting will be held virtually. All are welcome to attend. An email and text will be sent beforehand with the login instructions.
- Addressing the Board
Friday, September 11, 2020
- Stakeholder Survey will be distributed
- August 18, 2020 Board Meeting Highlights
- Board Meeting Video Archive
- Next Monthly School Board Meeting: September 8, 2020, 5 p.m.
- Families will receive the virtual meeting details before the meeting.
Don't Miss These Announcements
Data Confirmation Deadline Today
- The annually required Data Confirmation window is now open in the Aeries Parent Portal and should be completed before school starts on Tuesday, August 25, 2020.
- Proof of Residency Affidavit in English and Spanish
Discover solutions and tips for technical issues. Submit a technical help request.
If you were unable to pick up instructional materials during the pick-up times, please contact your school site to make arrangements for pick-up this week.
Free and Reduced Lunch Applications Available
Families need to re-apply for free and reduced-price lunches annually, even if you have been approved in the past. This year we will provide five school lunches in a box per week. You will pick up the box at Kent Middle School on Monday (or Tuesday if Monday is a holiday) between the hours of 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Download Application in English or Spanish
- Return application to Maureen Moulton, Assistant to the Superintendent, firstname.lastname@example.org
District Committee Solicitation
Kentfield School District maintains a variety of district wide committees, which include Communications, Equity, Finance, Safety, Technology, and Wellness. As we prepare to launch and/or reconvene our committees we welcome stakeholder participation to support diversified perspectives and interests. If you would like to participate in any of our committees for the 2020-21 school year please complete this form by September 30, 2020.
Marin Enrichment (ME) will offer on-site childcare at Bacich School for KSD students and staff to support students with Distance Learning in small groups while maintaining safety protocols and procedures outlined by public health.
Next General KSPTA Meeting: Monday, August 31, 2020, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Details to be posted.
Become a Member of the Kentfield Schools PTA
- 100% of membership dues fund school activities and programs such as P.E. equipment, library books, dance with Mr. S, and more
Membership has its benefits. Discounts at Urban Sitter, Academy of Sciences, and Legoland to name a few. Become a member today!
New School Lunch Program with School Foodies
Over the course of the demolition there will be large trucks coming in and out of the site via the driveway close to the crosswalk on College Avenue. We have noticed pedestrians not activating the flashing signals when using the crosswalk. Please remember to use this important safety feature as it is the only way vehicles exiting the driveway know that there are pedestrians in the crosswalk.
Marin Community Learning Hubs
Marin County community organizations are working together to provide Marin Community Learning Hubs during the 2020-2021 school year. Marin Community Learning Hubs are safe spaces with adult supervision for TK-8th grade students. Students will receive connection support for distance learning and access to WiFi during school hours.
This opportunity is offered for families for free who meet specific criteria. Eligible families include those that qualify for free or reduced lunch program, work with the Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS), foster youth children, students new to the country, or families unable to access or support distance learning.
Smoke from Bay Area Fires Affecting Marin Air Quality
- Power Outages, Extreme Heat, Air Quality, and Winter Weather
Potential Rotating Power Outages This Week
Conserve energy during peak hours and keep devices charged
PG&E let the County of Marin know that during August 18-20, residents will likely experience rolling blackouts of up to 2 hours. The blackouts may occur from 3 p.m. to 11pm today, Wednesday or Thursday.
Academic Support for All Families
The Marin Equality in Education Project provides equal access to educational support regardless of ability to pay or socioeconomic status.
California Parent & Youth Helpline and Online Support Groups
The free helpline provides free trauma-informed, evidenced-based emotional support to parents, children and youth in any language via calls, text, live chat, and email.
- Available 7 days a week from 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Parents can join a Weekly Online Support Group through the website: caparentyouthhelpline.org.
- Helpline #: 855-427-2736
Parent Education Series Webinars
Join Marin County Behavioral Health and Recovery Series and the Marin County Office of Education for weekly webinars focusing on mental health and wellness in the home.
- Effective Strategies to Support Loneliness and Isolation Due to Lack of Direct Peer Interactions
- Strategies to Address Building an Effective Home Routine/Schedule for Individuals/Families
- Developing Coping Skills to Help Adapt to Change
Drive-Thru Food Distribution at Northgate Mall
Wednesdays, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Weekly registration required. Registration opens at 10 a.m. on Thursdays of the week prior.
- No internet access? Call 628-272-8430