October 8, 2019
Dear Families and Staff,
We have learned that PG&E will implement its program to reduce the risk of wildfires - “Public Safety Power Shut Off” (PSPS) - in parts of Marin County tonight. While Kentfield and Greenbrae are not currently on the map of expected outages, we want to be prepared in case conditions change. Based on estimates from PG&E, PSPS events may result in extended power outages of three to five days.
Communication during a power outage will be extremely limited as information channels that are dependent on electricity will eventually fail. We will make every attempt to keep you apprised of school closures and reopenings, but there may come a point where signs on the doors are all we can do. Check local radio stations such as KCBS 740AM for updates.
School is not in session tomorrow anyway in observance of Yom Kippur, so this plan applies to Thursday and beyond.
- If power is turned off while school is in session, we will keep students in class through the end of the regular school day unless doing so is unsafe.
- If there is a confirmed power shutdown scheduled for a subsequent school day at one or both schools, the District will close both schools and communicate the closures in whatever formats are available as soon as possible.
- If power is restored prior to 5:00 a.m. on a school day when a closure has been announced the day before, the District will open the schools and communicate that news in whatever formats are available as soon as possible.
- All information related to school closures and reopening will be posted to our District and school websites, and will be communicated through Aeries email and direct feed as long as power allows.
- If one school is scheduled not to have power, both schools will be closed.
In order to stay as up to date as possible on the most current information, our public safety officials are recommending that you register your contact information at the following sites:
- www.nixle.com/ (text zip codes to 888777)
- PG&E Alerts for Account Holders
- PG&E Zip Code Alerts for non-account holders (sign up for your school’s zip code)
Here are some additional links with important resources to assist you in being prepared at home:
Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org